There’s been a lot of milestones in 2020 thus far – from Presidential acquittals, royals resigning and erm, yeah everyone living in a global lockdown, it’s been quite an interesting ride.
But, there is another – slightly lesser known – occasion to mark this week, it’s my third year anniversary of working at Pistachio!
Not quite the record-breaking achievement that 2020 is used to, but still definitely something worth shoe-horning into a blog post nonetheless.
To mark this marginally momentous occasion, I’ve noted down the key things I’ve learnt from my third year at Pistachio, I hope you find them riveting…
1. No matter the season, Paul will always wear his gilet. I thought it might have just been the result of a few unpredictable summers. But no, year 3 at Pistachio HQ has confirmed that come rain or shine, hail or blistering heat, our Director Paul will ALWAYS be snuggly zipped up in his now-infamous navy, quilted gilet. What a guy.
2. Nottingham is my new favourite city. Much like many a city based north of the midlands (East or West) they tend to get a bad rep (especially when you mainly mingle with southerners). Therefore, when I first started at Pistachio and began splitting my time between our Marlow and Notts bases, I didn’t really pay much attention to the surroundings of our office ‘up North. Now, after many work drinks and trendy luncheons spent under the bright lights of Nottingham city centre, it’s safe to say that I am enamoured. A fiercely creative city with so much history and a vibrant atmosphere, I am very mad indeed at that creepy little twerp Mr C-19 for keeping me away from it for most of 2020. Don’t cry for me Notts-a-tina, I’ll be back before you know it babe!
3. Absence really does make the heart grow fonder. As anyone who has to work in an office knows, people can be darn annoying sometimes. Especially when deadlines are tight, clients are demanding and everyone’s schedule is just pretty busy. Day in day out this can make people snappy and insular when you’re all sharing the same space. So, long before Covid reared it’s miserable little head, the Pistachio team embarked on a flexi-working schedule that encouraged the team to hot desk, remote-work and utilise shared hang out spots in order to invigorate creativity and collaboration across the board. This agile approach to working has definitely helped to boost morale in the past year and also makes those times when we do all meet up even more enjoyable and productive. Granted, the ‘rona is taking it a little too far now, but we’ve managed to replicate this feeling in weekly Zoom catch-ups -which will help to keep us going for now!
4. We’re stronger in a crisis. It would be disingenuous to talk about my third year working at Pistachio without a heavy focus on the pandemic that is still sweeping the globe, but there have been some very important take-aways as a result. Navigating a home office around the complexities (and anxieties) of lockdown life, whilst still trying to stay productive and sane, has been super tough on us all. What I’ve noticed most about this past year is that the Pistachio team are always there, no matter the time, stress or worry, and that’s an important thing to have – not just throughout Covid, but from a work environment in general. Plus, we’ve had a few chocolate-filled surprise packages delivered to see us through along the way. This has not helped with the extra quarantine fifteen many of us are now carrying around with us, but alas, this too shall pass.
5. Nothing is ever that bad. Finally, the most important thing I’ve learned from my third year at Pistachio is that nothing is ever really that bad. Drama’s happen, mistakes are made, clients get angry, and so do colleagues – but at the end of the day, it all comes out in the wash, and we’re all the more resilient for it. As long as you’re learning and growing as a professional and a person, then you’re most definitely winning at life. So, don’t sweat the small stuff (especially if you wanna pass that temperature test to get into the pub).
All in all, it’s been a great three years here at Pistachio and I’m thankful to be surrounded by such a supportive and talented team.
If you’re interested in chatting to us about any of the service we can offer your brand, then please do get in touch with us today – we’d love to hear from you!